Saturday, February 2, 2008

Orphie's Story


Orphie is a German Box Dog (Shepherd/Boxer). She was from an accidental breeding when I lived in Perkasie many years ago. Orphie is the best dog in the world. Throughout her life, she was an excellent guard dog (often stopping the PP&L guy from even stepping foot on our property), puppy raiser extrordinaire, and all around great companion. Orphie is never leashed or confined in anyway, as she knows our property boundries and won't step foot over them and her bark is definitely worse than her bite (but don't tell the PP&L guy). She comes down to the end of the driveway with my son Tyler and I to wait for the bus in the morning, and she mosies on down the driveway in the afternoon to wait with me for the bus to bring our boy home. She is one of the best dogs I've ever owned.


Orphie is now only a few months shy of 13 years old, and is totally deaf, but in great health overall (knock on wood to the doggie gods). I know for a big dog like her, 13 is quite old, and I dread the day she won't be lying in the sun on the front porch anymore. I know there will never be another dog as good as Orphie, so I pray her health stays good for another 10 years, but I know that will never be.

No comments: